Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Fright, Fight or Flight?

Which one are you? 

If you are in a life-threatening/ scary scenario how do you respond?  Do you freak out and freeze, hoping the big-toothed predator won't see you?  Or do you pick up the nearest tree and throw that sucker?

Or are you like me, fleet of foot in no other time than when your eyes override your brain and tell you feet to get the flock outta there?

I'm a through-and-through flight-er.  When faced with something a bit scary or gruesome, I run.  Fast.  Very fast.  Swearing as I go.

There's only been a couple of times in my life when the flight response has really taken over - but that's enough.  My heart beats a thousand beats per minute, my breathing takes on hyperventilation qualities, and I am able to run faster than the speed of light.  Well, not really as fast as the speed of light, but a WHOLE lot faster than I can run at any other time.

The Love Of My Life knows only too well how I run from danger.  A couple of years ago he had a gruesome accident at home involving a circular saw and his hand.  Gruesome.  I saw the aftermath immediately and was off like a rocket.  I was outta the shed, across the yard, into the house and grabbed the car keys and my phone, and was in the car with the engine revving all while he was still making his way to the house in search of something to wrap his hand in to stem the bleeding.  No time for first aid!!!  We must be off!!!  NOW!!!!

Needless to say, we made it to the hospital in record time. 

If I was on a racetrack I think I would have set all sorts of new land speed records for an automatic 2000 Toyota Camry sedan.

Once I went back home I realised that in my mad panic and rush to get to hospital, I had locked the front door to the house but neglected to shut any window or the back door!  Flight response alive and well!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...