Thursday, April 28, 2011

Have glue gun, will glue

This morning I completed a task that has been 6 years in the making.

Years ago, quite early in our relationship, the LOML and I went on a romantic getaway and visited some wineries near the Queensland/ New South Wales border.  In one of those wineries (I can't remember which one - they're a blur after all that sampling!!!) I saw the Best Cork Board Ever.  That's correct - Best Ever.  It was a board - with wine bottle corks stuck all over it.  How cool!  I totally had to have one for myself!  And so started the planning and preparation to get to this point in time right now where it is made and finished and all mine!  To share the love and so you too can be the proud owner of a Real Cork Cork Board, I've included step-by-step instructions (with photos, because instructions are so much more professional looking with photos!).  

Step One:
Drink wine.  Lots of it.  Champagne too.  Make sure the bottles have corks not screwtops otherwise you're just a wino and you should probably go to a meeting.  Surveying my collection is like looking at a time capsule - I can see periods of Asti Riccadona, Hardy's, Yellow Glen, Brown Brothers, Wolf Blass and a whole lot of un-named varieties!

Step Two:
Save the corks.  I put them in a safe spot so I wouldn't lose them.  Well, actually it was two safe spots because I forgot where the first safe spot was.  Luckily we moved house during Step One so I found the first safe spot again!
Step Three:
Assemble required equipment and ingredients: corks, board (I used an old picture frame that I found kicking around the back shed), hot glue gun.
Step Four:
Start gluing.  You could have a practice layout first to make sure they all fit and get them arranged in some sort of aesthetically pleasing order but I'm too impatient for that.  Luckily for me I had enough corks to fill the board and they all fit together nicely!
Step Five:
Stand back and admire your handiwork.  
I plan on placing my Cork Board in a very prominent position so that all visitors will see it and be in awe of my creativity and competence.   Naaahh - not really - but I have put it on my desk so that when I see it I am reminded that a) I'm very clever and b) it may be time to cut back on the alcohol!
So, what do you reckon about my Cork Board?  (blatant fish for complements here....indulge me!)

4 comments:

  1. I love it! Now... to get drinking so I can have one myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful!

    But, maybe I am a wino, or maybe I'm cheap. Probably both. Because the past couple of times I've gotten wine they've had screw tops. Even the ones my husband got from wineries when he was in Australia and NZ. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! What is up with the screw tops! It did mean I had to buy more wine because the bottle was a screw top so I wasn't complaining too loudly but I was after corks....not metal caps!

    I think the screw tops are apparently 'better for the wine' or something (I didn't really listen....oops) but nothing says 'enjoy your wine, madam, would you like another glass, why yes I would' more than popping a cork. Of course, that could just be me....!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a large glass container full of corks, Himself predicted that corks were on their way out and that we needed to rescue as many as we could. It was a tough job but someone had to do it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...