Tuesday, July 17, 2012

In My Kitchen: July 2012

Joining Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial for her monthly In My Kitchen posts - pop on over to Celia's and see what's happening in the kitchens of other bloggers....why not even join the fun yourself!


In My Kitchen this month.....

...time has been a'ticking away so very quickly. So quickly in fact that all of a sudden the middle of the month has been and gone and before I know it we'll be onto August already and then it's Spring and then Christmas and then, OMG, 2013!!! (yes, you do detect an edge of hysteria there - I feel like time is escaping me! so much I want to do, so little time to do it!).

[Deep breath in, deep breath out. Calmness restored.] 

As you may recall, last month my kitchen saw the preparation work for a big-number-that-shan't-be-revealed birthday cake for a friend...(missed it? here it is again). This month has seen the finalisation of said cake....

Tools were assembled...


Flowerpaste was cut to size, marked with a toothpick and then placed in formers to shape...



I left the flowers in the formers, placed in sealed plastic containers for the week in a vain attempt to get them to dry.  Considering it rained every day, I was living in hope but they held their shape enough for me not to panic too much come assembly time!

Before any assembling could take place though, colours were measured ready for some serious dusting...


...and then, once the cake was covered and stuck to the board, I added the ribbon and did some decoration around the board edges....




Then came the fun part - putting on the flowers!   I must admit that when I started I had a design plan....but too soon the excitement took over and I started to make it up as I went along!  Lucky for me it still looked alright at the end!!!



Finally, time for the finishing touches and of course the writing of the message...


....taaaadaaaahhhhhh!!!!!


Unfortunately, circumstances out of our control meant that the LOML and I couldn't make the surprise party but I'm told the birthday gal was over the moon with my edible gift to her and may have cried a few tears of happiness as well.  I'm so glad she liked it - plenty of love in that one right there!

Next month, I think my kitchen will be icing-free and not anywhere near as pretty....but you never know!

Thanks for stopping by :)

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic Shelley! How nice to see the final cake! You're a good friend.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is fantastic. No wonder your friend Bev was happy. What a lovely gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So talented. I admire anyone who has the patience to sew or decorate cakes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...